Saturday, February 16, 2013

Hug A Small Business Owner

Ever know anyone who owned their own business?  Did they ever talk about the rewards even though it's hard work and often tough to find family time?  I grew up around family and family friends who owned their own businesses.  My grandfather was an entrepreneur who worked hard to provide for his family.  He was business partners with his brother-in-laws; they had several business ventures until they hit the most successful one!  It started as an idea to open a butcher shop, although the three brother-in-laws were successful in their launch of the butcher shop, it wasn't long before they sold it to open up their second venture, a bakery.  The bakery business was quite successful, although I remember both my grandmother and all her children complaining that my grandfather was never around, he worked long hours to ensure the business ran and it remained successful.  Not much changed, except much longer hours when they decided to sell the bakery business and open up a motel at the very end of Long Island, NY; Montauk Point...They built a motel and called it the Atlantic Terrace Motel and that was all they wrote; twenty-eight years later the brother-in-laws would retire at the ripe old age of 50!


My grandparents had friends that owned candy stores, drug stores, property management and other  retail ventures.  Their really good friends owned one of the candy stores and every month we used to travel into New York City from the Island to visit the candy store (actually, now that I'm an adult, it wasn't to visit the candy store, it was for my grandparents to visit with their friends!).  My brother and I were each allowed to pick one candy item.  From a very young age we were taught that even though we know people who own businesses, we support them by buying from them and not taking anything they offer.  So, although my grandfather's friend insisted that we have our one piece of candy for free, my grandfather more firmly insisted that he pay him for the candy.  I don't recall my grandfather ever losing (wink).


I guess the point here is that if you know someone who owns a business, support them in any way you can.  Even if it's not in monetary form, you can still: share a post, refer a friend or just simply spread the word.  Every little bit helps us become more successful!  If you don't know someone who owns a business, simply give back by finding something you can purchase from a local small business owner.  They'll truly appreciate your business and I bet you receive great customer service!

That's my story for today.  After you've finished reading this, take action and find a way to virtually Hug a small business owner today!  You can start here!

WholeSoulJewelry.com, this ones for you!

A Big Thank You to all those who support us and also support other small and local business owners! Join the revolution - you'll be satisfied you did!

Warm wishes...







No comments:

Post a Comment